Debrah

Site Admin

Lead

13-Jan-10 08:36

Tags : :

More information on IP-6:

================================

Alternative Names: Also called Phytic Acid and InsP6

Inositol Hexaphosphate (IP6) has, in research since 1985, inhibited the onset and progression of cancers in animals, but supportive research in humans is lacking. All research suggesting beneficial effects from taking IP6 involve animals and not humans. It is not known whether IP6 would be useful for the treatment of human disease or, if so, what would be the optimal amount.

Source

IP6 is associated with dietary fiber and thus is naturally present in a wide variety of plant foods, especially wheat bran, whole grains and legumes. The average dietary intake ranges from 1-1.5gm of phytate per day.

Inositol is a B-vitamin and its derivative, IP6 is a natural component of some grain and legumes, particularly soybeans. We naturally can increase our intake of IP6 by consuming the outer layer of grains (rice, wheat, rye), but soybean seed is the best source with its whole seed (bean) containing up to 26% of IP6.

IP6 is available without prescription in most health food stores. It is supplied in 500mg (½gm) capsules and is made by several manufacturers.

Function; Reasons For Use

IP6 is a premier antioxidant.

Research has shown that IP6 can help prevent kidney stone formation, complications of diabetes(i.e. cataracts, renal damage), lung fibrosis, fatty liver disease, sickle cell anemia, heart disease, high cholesterol and high triglycerides. It is calcium binding, thus preventing formation of the most common type of kidney stone (calcium oxibate). Its antioxidant and iron building properties inhibit the progression of lung fibrosis in asbestosis.

Although used primarily by the community of Alternative Medical Doctors and some open-minded orthodox oncologists (medical cancer doctors) because it suppresses almost all types of cancer, it has some other fantastic benefits for longevity.

Independently, IP6 regulates the oxygen capacity of our red blood cells; it reduces both cholesterol and trigylcerides, as well as preventing heart damage during a heart attack.

In diabetes cases, it not only improves insulin sensitivity, but also decreases complications.

In preliminary studies, IP6 prevents depression and may work adjunctively in schizophrenia. The all-important function of enhancing of our immune system, by increasing the activity of our natural killer (NK) cells, may make IP6 the 'aspirin' of the future.

Directions

When IP6 is recommended, the dose is 2-8gm daily, which should be taken on an empty stomach to avoid interaction with dietary proteins. Consider taking supplemental inositol with IP6 because additional unbound inositol multiplies its therapeutic activity.

Specifically, the normal recommend dosage is 1-2gm per day, taken between meals twice a day to avoid its interaction with protein in the diet. For individuals with a high risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease, kidney stones, etc., 2-4gm per day. Finally, to help existing cancer, 5-8gm per day.

Side-Effects

IP6 is "as safe as water". However, caution is advised when using IP6 supplementally for an extended period. Phytate in foods reduces mineral absorption, especially iron. Supplemental phytate (IP6) will further contribute to this potential problem and thus additional mineral supplementation may be required.

LINK

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

And I also found this information and thought it was pretty interesting reading. It's taken from a link at bodybuilding.com (link is below)

"If these three natural products are taken together, could they over-stimulate my immune system?

A: That is a very good question. And at first glance, it might seem a possibility. However, one of the most amazing aspects of all three nutritional products, POA cat's claw root extract, maitake d-fraction, and IP-6 with inositol, is their ability to both strengthen a weakened immune system and calm down a hyperactive immune system. They modulate the immune system.9
The POAs in cat's claw root extract does not take over the immune system's job, they simply strengthen the body's immune system so it can do its job better.9-11,13 Maitake D-fraction does not act on cancer cells directly, it encourages the body's own immune system regulators to act.17-21

IP-6 with inositol does not increase NK cells, it increases NK cell activity.29-32 In other words, these three natural discoveries strengthen and balance the immune system without the fear of over-stimulation.

In fact, it is theorized that cat's claw root extract, maitake mushrooms, and IP-6 with inositol may work synergistically. Meaning, together they strengthen and balance the immune system even better when they are taken together.

However, if you use a cat's claw supplement that contains any amount of TOAs, not only will the good "spirits" of the POAs be cancelled, experts believe that they will interfere with IP-6 with inositol as well.42 That's why it is vital to choose a cat's claw supplement that is 100% TOA-free and says so on its label."

Taken from this site: LINK

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

But then there is THIS argument regarding cat's claw: http://www.rain-tree.com/toa-poa-article.htm

She claims that cat's claw whose origin is from the bark of the vine is okay. The guy from bodybuilding.com, who wrote the above article says to look only for those products which originate from the root. Oh my! WHY do I do this to myself? I seem to be in a chronic state of confusion because I over-research, I guess. Yeh, oops.

Shoot for the Moon. Even if you miss, you'll land amongst the stars. - Anonymous

Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

14-Jan-10 08:37

Good find Deb.

And Oh Gosh!
"It is calcium binding, thus preventing formation of the most common type of kidney stone (calcium oxibate)."

That's both good and bad; and a very good reason to be sure to take IP6 by itself on an empty stomach.

I'm already taking an extra quantity of magnesium. I take it at a different time as I do calcium or any calcium food. Magnesium is a calcium channel blocker.

I'm running out of empty stomachs. And I know what you mean by too much research.

- Jim

Quote    Reply   

Debrah

#2 [url]

14-Jan-10 09:30

None of my liquid cat's claw bottles say TOA free. Not even the Amazon Herbs brand stuff that I got from my ND, which is supposed to be the best (or one of the best) on the market. I am also using the liquid Gravizon from Amazon Herbs; don't know if that's a good idea or not, but I'm doing it anyway.

I have been taking the IP6 before I even get dressed in the morning so that I'm sure my tummy is empty. Then I take two more about an hour before I go to bed. That's only 1,600 mg daily though, and I'm not sure it's an adequate dose; but until I learn exactly what I'm dealing with here, it will have to do. If it turns out that cancer really is involved, I will probably start taking quite a bit more. 5-8 grams daily is supposed to be used when dealing with major stuff, I guess. The IP6 that I'm taking is capsule and they are hard to swallow because they are so dang dry. I thought about powdering them in my mortar and pestle and adding them to something, but then my tummy wouldn't exactly be empty. Oh dear.

Shoot for the Moon. Even if you miss, you'll land amongst the stars. - Anonymous

Quote    Reply   

Debrah

#3 [url]

15-Jan-10 12:17

Holy cats ... that IP-6 sure makes me pee a lot - and often! Does it do that for you, Jim?

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

15-Jan-10 01:50

I drink 3 liters of water daily; so I would not know if anything else makes me pee more than I am now. Once before, I was unable to take the IP6 for about 2 days. I did not see a difference. I could not find any info using Google either.

That is what you want to do, when you are chelating metals though.

- Jim

Quote    Reply   

Debrah

#5 [url]

15-Jan-10 02:58

I drink tons of water, too. Day and night. But I don't usually find myself excessively peeing like now. And there is urgency where there usually wasn't before. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but with the chelating process I'm going to have to assume that it's a good thing.

A friend of mine who works in the oncology unit of a hospital told me last night that she has worked with literally thousands of colonoscopies over the past 10-15 years, and she said it's surprising, really, how little cancer is actually found, compared to what you hear about from the medical sources. She says it is actually quite rare, and she also said that about 95% of the polyps probably don't even need removing because they normally don't present huge problems.
Most people who have polyps and don't know it, or aren't made aware of it through colonoscopies, would not suffer to any great extent anyway.

See, ignorance really can be bliss!

She also told me not to worry because I do mostly healthy things (other than the stress of my chosen profession) and that blood in stools is pretty normal really. She said if you can actually see the blood you might have real problems, but if it's not visible to the naked eye it's probably nothing for me to worry about. I think I had myself psyched because my doctor's nurse made it sound so dire when she called me with the results, until she found out I don't have insurance. Then she backed off. I had a little tete-a-tete with her yesterday because she didn't want to send me a copy my bloodwork results (to which I am definitely entitled, as are we all). They've never refused me copies before so I threatened and she gave in. Supposedly they should arrive in the mail today or tomorrow and if they don't, there will be phone calls flying on Monday.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

16-Jan-10 09:29

Debrah wrote:
I drink tons of water, too. Day and night. But I don't usually find myself excessively peeing like now. And there is urgency where there usually wasn't before. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but with the chelating process I'm going to have to assume that it's a good thing.

Maybe it is due to a new combination of supplements too. Or a combination of a drug and the IP6. You do have unique situations and reactions to things that most people do not. I mean pretty incredible things. Like probiotics. Speaking of which, I bought some powdered probiotics with a benign filler. I'm adding a smidgen to a little distilled water in a nasal spray bottle. I'm spraying it up my nose throughout the day. I'm trying to repopulate my sinuses with friendly flora for them to eat fungus, which I think is causing most of my problems there.

Debrah wrote:
A friend of mine who works in the oncology unit of a hospital told me last night that she has worked with literally thousands of colonoscopies over the past 10-15 years, and she said it's surprising, really, how little cancer is actually found, compared to what you hear about from the medical sources. She says it is actually quite rare, and she also said that about 95% of the polyps probably don't even need removing because they normally don't present huge problems.
Most people who have polyps and don't know it, or aren't made aware of it through colonoscopies, would not suffer to any great extent anyway.

Thanks for passing this along. Really. That is what I've been trying to justify. That's why it was good to read the rebuttal of that "foreign" guy. We've both been doing things for ourselves that lower the risk of cancer anywhere in our bodies. ... and will continue to do so. So, thank your oncology friend for me. Really. It relieves a lot of anxiety, which is very normal for me and the cause of so many of my problems.

- Jim

Quote    Reply   

Debrah

#7 [url]

16-Jan-10 10:32

JFH wrote:
Debrah wrote:

Maybe it is due to a new combination of supplements too. Or a combination of a drug and the IP6. You do have unique situations and reactions to things that most people do not. I mean pretty incredible things. Like probiotics. Speaking of which, I bought some powdered probiotics with a benign filler. I'm adding a smidgen to a little distilled water in a nasal spray bottle. I'm spraying it up my nose throughout the day. I'm trying to repopulate my sinuses with friendly flora for them to eat fungus, which I think is causing most of my problems there.

You know, this whole probiotics thing is such a mystery. I don't seem to have much problem with acidophilus alone (a little heartburn sometimes) but if I take one of those mixed probiotic supplements it just tears me up inside. It really doesn't make sense, but there it is. I sometimes have problems with store-bought yogurt, too. Of course that junk is mostly sugar and I rarely buy it, but sometimes I just don't have time to make my own. But when I use my homemade yogurt or kefir, I don't suffer any heartburn at all -- and that stuff is supposedly loaded with enzymes for our gut. Beats me.

The thing you are doing with the nasal spray you are making is the same idea I was trying to confer in another post somewhere about using the coconut oil up your nose. DH and I have been doing that and it sure is soothing. It's antifungal so at some point I'm hoping it's beneficial in that regard. We've also been using it in our ears and that seems to help that heavy feeling I was having for a while. My doctor spent exactly 3 nanoseconds looking in my left ear and said there wasn't anything wrong that he could see. Of course not, but he wrote out a script for some steriod somethingoranother - some sort of sporin - but I didn't fill it and I don't intend to.

Maybe you should try the coconut oil, too. Who knows.

Debrah wrote:

Thanks for passing this along. Really. That is what I've been trying to justify. That's why it was good to read the rebuttal of that "foreign" guy. We've both been doing things for ourselves that lower the risk of cancer anywhere in our bodies. ... and will continue to do so. So, thank your oncology friend for me. Really. It relieves a lot of anxiety, which is very normal for me and the cause of so many of my problems.

I was rather relieved after talking with her, too. She has been a friend for some time and works at hospital in MN. She has been here visiting family and I finally got a chance to steal her away for coffee and a quick visit.

Anxiety is a biggie. Until I found someone to talk to, sort of a kindred spirit, I found no relief in anything, not Rx drugs, not supplements. I had to utilize talk therapy because nothing else worked, and I discovered that solely by accident. Luckily she was a friend anyway, but I didn't realize how cleansing it could be to talk to someone who seemed to really understand.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

16-Jan-10 11:54

"Maybe you should try the coconut oil, too. Who knows. "

I've tried that and ghee (clarified butter). I've tried that neti pot with added substances. I've tried colloidal silver spray. I feel that the probiotics will find their way to the crevices and folds within the sinuses - if they live long enough. Just a theory.

- Jim

Quote    Reply   

Debrah

#9 [url]

16-Jan-10 12:23

Oh man, I still use my neti pot every chance I get. That feels so good and this time of year it really helps more than anything else for colds that settle in the nose. I just use plain sea salt in mine, or sometimes sea salt and a little baking soda - nothing too fancy. Mostly my cold symptoms tend to settle in my eyes, causing them to be red and watery and burn, and then extremely dry at night. One extreme to the other.

All I know is the coconut oil sure helps keep nasal passages moist during the day. Dryness in the nose is very annoying.

My house always smells of peppermint because I keep cotton balls or kleenex with peppermint oil all over the place. It kills airborne germs to a degree, and it really does help to keep my nose open, too. I also like the combination of peppermint/eucalyptus oils.

I have a little ceramic deal that is heated with a tea light candle, and I put some fresh sage in there and let the candle heat it up. It smells good and that is also supposed to help purify the air - a good idea when we're more housebound in the winter.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help